Friday, March 1, 2013

SPOTLIGHT: Macklemore



Macklemore

“I can’t change, even if I tried.  Even if I wanted to, my love it keeps me warm.”
-"Same Love "


I arrived late to the Macklemore party.  I first met this artist, and I mean artist in every sense of the word, a few months ago by accident.  I was harrumphing over the suspension of a Middle School teacher in Michigan, for showing a music video called “Same Love.” After a student complained about the video, the school thought it appropriate to suspend the teacher, without pay.  Read the story here. Don’t worry, after some communal protest, Susan Johnson has been reinstated. So I clicked on the video prepared to play devil's advocate, searching for anything scandalous enough to warrant a suspension.   What I found lasted 7 minutes.  Now maybe it was the tacos I ate or allergies, but as I watched there was a distinct burning in my chest that brought water to my eyes. The music video was only 7 minutes long, but in it I saw my whole life's story; my loneliness, my fears, my hopes, my love.  And I was like whoa.  Watch "Same Love" below.



"Same Love" is one of many Macklemore sensations. Take a trip down the Youtube rabbit hole, and you will find a collection of works by a passionate, charismatic hip-hop artist who is a strong civil rights advocate.  For me, Macklemore's cool melodies, mellow rhythms and pure beats are only surpassed by his message.   In a genre that uses homophobia to sell records, Macklemore is a refreshing addition to hip-hop. With lyrics like, "I might not be the same, but that's not important/No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it," I believe he will be a key piece to hip-hop's evolution.  More importantly, he is already becoming a prominent and consistent presence in the queer fight for equality.  Recently, he has been a voice for the "You Can Play Project" to support and encourage gay athletes to pursue sports.  Since its release ‘Same Love,” the official video, has had over 21 million views on Youtube with 220,800 likes and 6,500 dislikes.  Numbers that I think are becoming more and more representative of the general population's feelings on social issues. So if you haven’t already, please put "Same Love" on your playlist after "Thrift Shop." 

And now a little flo from yours truly *clears throat*.

Macklemore is super fly.
 Macklemore is trendy.
If he wants to message me he can be my friendy.
GLBTs need friends like these, to live a life of freedom.
So I'll wave a rag and shake my a**.
Damn right I support him!

 In case you missed it here is "Thrift Shop." 


Peace. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this song. FYI, it's also available on VINYL as a "picture disc" single. I, of course, own one.
    In case anyone's interested, here's the place to order:
    http://www.subpop.com/releases/macklemore_and_ryan_lewis/singles/same_love

    ReplyDelete